I’m a breakfast at any time of day kind of person. I love long, late Sunday brunch affairs but can just as easily get on board with a breakfast for dinner.
This dish is perfect for either of those occasions! Shakshuka (sometimes spelled Shakshouka or Chakchuka) used to be one of my favourite things to order whenever we went out for breakfast in London before I went vegan. A rich and spicy tomato dish, eggs poached in the sizzling sauce and usually served with slices of fresh sourdough bread.
After my change in diet though, ordering the dish without eggs always felt a little sad.
Don’t get me wrong, the sauce is very flavoursome (and garlic-y!) without the eggs but eggs just add more texture, flavour and protein.
Which is where silken tofu comes in. It’s super similar in texture and with the right seasoning the taste gets pretty damn close, too.
So after a little experimenting I came up with this vegan version: a rich, spiced tomato and pepper sauce, topped with surprisingly eggy tofu scramble and a sprinkle of fresh coriander.
Let it sizzle for about 30 minutes for the flavours to develop and unfold.
Serve it for breakfast, lunch, dinner or anytime in between. Crusty bread for dunking is absolutely mandatory.
If you make this recipe at home be sure to tag your photo #myvibrantkitchen on Instagram. I love seeing all your beautiful recreations. And don’t forget to sign up for My Vibrant Kitchen’s newsletter to get the latest recipes, vegan lifestyle tips and travel diaries straight to your inbox.
- 4 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 white onion, diced
- 1 red pepper, roughly chopped
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tsp whole cumin seeds
- 2 tsp sweet paprika powder
- 800 g tinned tomatoes
- 1 tsp white caster sugar
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 350 g firm silken tofu
- Pepper & black salt (kala namak) to taste
- Pinch of turmeric
- Handful of fresh coriander
- Heat the oil in a large lidded frying pan over medium heat and add the onions. Once the onions turn translucent add the red pepper. Cook until the pepper is soft then add the 5 minced garlic, cumin seeds and sweet paprika.
- Fry for another couple of minutes then add the tinned tomatoes, sugar, lemon juice and salt.
- Cover the pan with the lid, turn down the heat and let it simmer for about 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile to make the tofu scramble add the remaining minced garlic clove to a small frying pan. Fry for a minute in a drizzle of oil then add the silken tofu. Carefully stir and break the tofu into pieces and fry for another couple of minutes.
- Season with pepper and black salt to taste and add a pinch of turmeric for colour.
- Black salt gives the tofu scramble the eggy flavour but you can use regular salt or sea salt if you don’t have any black salt.
- Serve the shakshuka in bowls, top with the tofu scramble and chopped fresh coriander. Sliced sourdough for dipping highly recommended! Enjoy!