The title is a mouth full, I know. But it’s those three ingredients that just go so amazingly well together. Dark Chocolate and sea salt (hell yes!) and chocolate stuffed with peanut butter. Almost like a cookie version of peanut butter cups (possibly better) – yum! And in general I’m just a really big fan of peanut butter and chocolate, devoured separately or together.
When I was living in Canada our college cafeteria sold chocolate peanut butter cookies. Needless to say I had them almost every single lunch for dessert. They were pretty damn good but a bit too sweet if you ask me.
That’s were the salt comes in. The salt just makes them that much better! Especially if you use coarse sea salt. Trust me.
These cookies basically are everything you look for in a cookie: crispy outside, chewy chocolaty inside with a surprise centre. And have I mentioned the coarse sea salt? You get the picture.
And if you’re not convinced yet… The other day I made them for a Winter Warmer Party and this is what one of the guests posted in the Facebook group the next day:
“WHO was responsible for those chocolate peanut butter soft biscuity things? I must know! And then marry them. Or failing that, get the recipe.”
But lets cut to the chase. Here’s the Vegan Salted Chocolate Cookies with Peanut Butter Centre recipe.
- 1 ½ cups flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- ½ cup unsweetened cocoa
- ½ tsp salt (ideally coarse sea salt)
- ¾ cup margarin or dairy free butter
- 1 cup light brown sugar
- 2 flaxseed eggs (2 Tbsp ground flaxseeds mixed with 5 Tbsp water)
- 1 Tbsp vanilla extract
- unsweetened peanut butter (I used a lightly salted crunchy one)
- Make the flaxseed eggs by mixing the ground flaxseeds and the water and letting the mixture sit while preparing the rest of the dough.
- In a mixing bowl whisk together the flour, baking powder, cocoa and salt.
- In a second bowl beat the butter and sugar until smooth, then add the flaxseed eggs and vanilla extract and beat until evenly mixed.
- Gradually add the flour-cocoa mixture until you get a kneadable dough.
- Pre-heat the oven to 190˚ Celsius.
- Line a baking sheet with baking paper. Form (about 18) balls of dough between the palms of your hands and place them on the baking paper. Leave enough space for the cookies to expand in size while in the oven. Use your thumb to make an indentation in each ball and fill the hole with peanut butter. Then form smaller balls of dough, cover the peanut butter filled hole and press down until your dough looks like a cookie. You can use bits of dough to cover spots that still show a bit of the peanut butter centre.
- I ended up sprinkling a dash of sea salt on top.
- Pop the cookies in the oven and bake for 10 minutes.