I’ve started working out more regularly lately and am working on building my strength. Which also means I’ve been trying to find fun ways to eat more protein to help my body build muscle and aid with recovery.
I’ve been playing around with making snacks which simultaneously satisfy my afternoon sweet tooth as well as being a decent source of protein.
These vegan peanut butter cookie dough protein balls are my go to at the moment! They’re sweet, peanut-buttery and full of dark chocolate chips. I know I know, the title’s quite a mouth full for bite sized treats.
Now, I want to be completely honest with you guys. These cookie dough balls are absolutely delicious BUT you can kind of taste the chickpeas a little bit. I don’t mind that at all but if you hate chickpeas with a passion, then these protein balls are probably not for you.
If you make this recipe at home be sure to tag your photo #myvibrantkitchen on Instagram. I love seeing all your beautiful recreations. And don’t forget to sign up for My Vibrant Kitchen’s newsletter to get the latest recipes, vegan lifestyle tips and travel diaries straight to your inbox.
- 50 g oats
- 200 g drained tinned chickpeas
- 4 medjool dates, stones removed
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- 150 g smooth peanut butter
- 1-3 Tbsp maple syrup to taste
- 1-2 scoops vegan protein powder (optional)
- 100 g dark chocolate
- Place the oats in your blender or food processor and blitz until you have oat flour.
- Add the chickpeas, dates, vanilla extract, peanut butter and maple syrup and blend until well combined. You want the mixture to be a firm cookie dough consistency.
- You can add protein powder to the blender to make the cookie dough balls higher in protein. If your protein powder has a strong taste it might change the flavour of the cookie dough. Vanilla flavoured protein powder works well but you might want to omit the vanilla extract.
- Roughly chop the chocolate and mix the chocolate chips with the cookie dough. Take scoopfuls of dough and form small balls between the palms of your hands.
- Keep the cookie dough balls in an airtight container in the fridge for unto a week. Enjoy!