It’s end of August already and it feels like the English weather is going to transition into Autumn fairly soon. But before I’m ready to commit to warm spices in all of my hot drinks and baked goods, I want to make the most of what the end of summer has to offer. An abundance of sweet, juicy, fresh produce that is.
Last week I’ve shared with you my favourite way to eat berries this summer: my vegan blueberry basil pie.
Today it’s all about the humble peach. My favourite way to eat peaches is devouring them just as they come, ripe, fresh and sweet, juices dropping down chin and fingers. It can be a rather sticky love affair.
But every once in a while I like to mix things up. I can get quite adventurous in the kitchen if you haven’t noticed by now. And my latest adventure resulted in a hot, juicy peach galette topped with a buttery yet crispy crumble and served with a couple scoops of vegan vanilla ice cream melting and mixing with the warm peach juices. I love Swedish Glace vanilla ice cream, it’s delicious and affordable.
It’s a summery dream come true!
If you make this recipe at home be sure to tag your photo #myvibrantkitchen on Instagram. I love seeing all your beautiful recreations. And don’t forget to sign up for My Vibrant Kitchen’s newsletter below to get the latest recipes, vegan lifestyle tips and travel diaries straight to your inbox.
- 300 g flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 Tbsp sugar
- 200 g margarine
- 4 - 5 Tbsp ice water
- 8 medium peaches
- 1 Tbsp margarine
- 5 Tbsp corn flour
- 6 Tbsp sugar
- 1½ tsp cinnamon
- 2 Tbsp lemon juice
- 50 g flour
- 50 g oats
- 50 g dark brown soft sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 Tbsp soy milk
- 1 Tbsp brown soft sugar
- For the galette pastry add half of the flour (150 g), salt and sugar to a food processor and pulse a few times to combine.
- Cut the margarine in cubes and sprinkle them on top of the flour mixture. Blitz until everything starts to come together and forms a soft dough.
- Scrape down the dough from the sides of the food processor and add the remaining flour (150 g). Pulse 4 to 5 times until the mixture starts forming crumbles.
- Transfer the mixture into a mixing bowl, add 4 Tbsp of the ice water and use a spoon to press the mixture into it self until it starts holding together. If it doesn’t hold together add 1 more Tbsp of ice water.
- Now use your hands to carefully knead the dough and form a ball. Don’t over do it, the less you knead it the flakier the galette crust.
- Cover the bowl with a dish towel and place it in the fridge.
- For the filling cut the peaches into slices and melt 1 Tbsp margarine in a saucepan. Add the peach slices, corn flour, sugar and cinnamon and let everything simmer until the peach slices turn soft and start to caramelise on the edges. Take the sauce pan off the heat and add the lemon juice.
- Take the dough out of the fridge and roll it out on a floured work surface.
- Transfer the rolled out dough to a baking tray lined with baking paper and scoop the peach filling on top. Spread the peaches over the middle, leaving a border of about 2 cm all around the edges. Roughly fold up the edges.
- Pre-heat the oven to 180˚C.
- For the crumble add the flour, oats, dark brown soft sugar and vanilla extract to a mixing bowl and combine with your finger tips. Once the dough starts coming together and form crumbles sprinkle them on top of the galette.
- Whisk together 1 Tbsp soy milk and brown soft sugar and brush it over the surface of the folded up pastry edge.
- Pop the galette in the oven for 30 - 40 minutes or until the pastry and crumble starts turning golden brown.
- Serve hot with scoops of vegan vanilla ice cream. Enjoy!