The apple season is finally upon us! Or at least for some of us, I still can’t fully wrap my head around Halloween being in spring and Christmas in the summer heat for some of you guys (sorry Australia).
Even though it’s beginning of August and I’m about to head to sunny NYC with temperatures up to 30C˚, I’m starting to get into an autumnal mood.
I love autumn, it’s my favourite season. The food, the leaves, the colours, even the changing weather and cozy jumpers are very much my idea of happiness.
Come September you can expect to find caramelized pears, pumpkin pie, spicy chai latte and hearty mushroom soup on the blog. I started writing down autumnal recipe ideas before summer barely started.
This vegan German apple crumble pie washes down marvellously with a cup of steaming hot Earl Grey, cuddled under a soft blanket on the sofa. But I have to admit it’s pretty damn good with a couple scoops of vanilla ice cream on a picnic blanket under a tree, as well. So no matter the weather, you want to give this one a try!
It’s a German apple crumble which means, unlike the English crumble, it has a pastry pie crust bottom, a creamy vanilla-autumnal spice apple filling and a crispy, buttery crumble. Mhmmm, yes please!
- 2 cups flour (+½ if dough is too soft)
- 2 Tbsp sugar
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 cup cold margarine
- 6 Tbsp ice water
- 1 cup soy cream
- 3 Tbsp flour
- 3 Tbsp sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ⅛ tsp ground cloves
- juice of ½ lemon
- 3 apples
- 1 cup white sugar
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ cup margarine
- 1½ cup flour
- Pre-heat the oven to 175˚C.
- For the crust mix the flour, sugar, salt and margarine with a fork.
- When you the mixture starts to come together (rather crumbly), add the ice water and continue mixing. If your dough seems too soft and sticky too work with, add up to ½ cup more flour.
- Use your hands to form a ball and pop it in the fridge.
- For the filling whisk together the soy cream (or plant-based cream of choice), flour, sugar, cinnamon, vanilla extract, ground cloves and lemon juice.
- Peel, core and cut up the apples into cubes.
- For the crumble mix the sugar, salt, margarine and flour first using a fork then switch over to using your fingers. The crumble mixture is ready when all the ingredients are thoroughly mixed and crumbs of different sizes have formed.
- Get the pastry dough out of the fridge and press it into a greased pie pan. Make sure to work the dough up the sides so the filling wont bubble out when baking. You might have to use two pie pans depending on the size of your pan.
- Now fill the pie with the apple pieces and pour the cream mixture over the apples.
- Cover the filling with the crumbles and bake it in the oven for 50 minutes or until the crumbles start to turn golden brown. Enjoy!