Todays recipe is the perfect cold weather salad! It’s warm, tossed in a sweet balsamic vinaigrette, topped with crispy tofu bacon, toasted pecans, pumpkin seeds and juicy pomegranate seeds.
It’s so moreish and festive, even the most committed salad dodger will embrace this one.
Plus, it’s vegan, super easy to make, full of vitamin C and high in protein, too! A real win win.
I also believe it would make a rather nice Christmas dinner side dish. Anyone willing to try my theory? 😉
If you make this recipe at home be sure to tag your photo #myvibrantkitchen on Instagram. I love seeing all your beautiful recreations. And don’t forget to sign up for My Vibrant Kitchen’s newsletter to get the latest recipes, vegan lifestyle tips and travel diaries straight to your inbox.
- Tofu bacon:
- 400 g extra firm tofu
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 3 Tbsp dark soy sauce
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 4 tsp maple syrup
- 1 tsp paprika powder
- Chilli powder (optional)
- Brussels sprouts salad:
- 500 g brussels sprouts
- 3 Tbsp olive oil
- Generous sprinkle of pepper & salt
- 5 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 2 Tbsp maple syrup
- 100 g pecans, roughly chopped and toasted
- 50 g pumkin seeds, toasted
- ½ pomegranate
- Preheat the oven to 180˚C (fan oven).
- For the tofu bacon cut the tofu into thin strips or small cubes. If you use firm tofu instead of extra firm tofu then I recommend pressing the tofu first to remove excess liquid.
- In a small bowl mix the olive oil, soy sauce, garlic powder, maple syrup, paprika powder and chilli powder if using until well combined.
- Dip each tofu strip fully in the marinade and place it on a lined baking sheet. If you have excess marinade then brush the tofu with it.
- Pop the baking sheet in the oven and bake until the tofu is golden brown and crispy.
- Wash the Brussels sprouts and slice them into thin slices. Place them on a rimmed baking sheet, add the olive oil, pepper and salt and toss until evenly covered.
- Pop the Brussels sprouts in the oven and roast them for 10 minutes.
- Mix the balsamic vinegar and maple syrup in a small mixing bowl.
- Place the Brussels sprouts in a big bowl and mix in the balsamic vinaigrette. Add the pomegranate seeds, pecans, pumpkin seeds and tofu bacon. Enjoy!