Happy 1st of November everyone! I know I promised loads of autumnal recipes this season… And don’t you worry, there are plenty more pumpkin recipes coming your way this month.
But guess what?! I found a quick and easy way to make great vegan ‘cheese’.
When I started playing around with baking cashew cheese I was itching to share it with you guys asap. But I had to bite my tongue and hold back for a little while longer while I was adjusting and perfecting texture and flavour.
It turned out brilliantly, great texture, delicious and perfectly sliceable. Plus, it melts in your mouth like a dream.
The nutritional yeast gives the ‘cheese’ some extra cheesy-ness but it’s optional, the recipe works well without it, too. So don’t worry if you can’t get your hands on yeast flakes, just skip them.
- 1 ½ cups cashews, soaked
- ½ cup water
- 3 garlic cloves
- juice of 1 lemon
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ cup olive oil
- 3 Tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1 tsp fresh rosemary, chopped
- 1 tsp fresh sage, chopped
- 1 tsp fresh oregano, chopped
- Soak the cashews overnight or boil them in water on the hob for 10 minutes.
- Pre-heat the oven to 190˚C.
- Drain the cashews and add them to a high-speed blender or food processor.
- Peel the garlic cloves and juice the lemon and add both to the blender.
- Add water, salt, olive oil and nutritional yeast and blend until the mixture is smooth and creamy.
- Destem the herbs, add them to the blender and pulse until well combined.
- Pour the mixture into an oven-save dish lined with baking paper and pop it in the oven.
- Bake it for 40 minutes, then let it set in the fridge for 1 hour before slicing. Enjoy!